Search This Blog

Wednesday, May 6, 2015

The CIMC KVM Fiasco

     I was doing yet another upgrade for the same customer on their CIMC and BIOS today.  This time it was on the subscriber because an SD card was not seen when I had put it in slot 2.  I know for a fact the card is good because both SD cards worked in slot 1 and were seen.  I pushed the upgrade from 1.4(7) to 1.5(7e) and this resolved the problem.  I still step upgraded to 1.5(4) since those where the instructions from TAC the last time I did this but I ended up running into the infuriating Java problems yet again! The error, Unable to launch application via the KVM no matter what I did.

     So long story short, on the 1.5 train for CIMC, the KVM does something differently within the CIMC and the newer versions of Java crap a brick over it and fail to launch the program due to some certificate issue that you can't seem to delete.  The fix for this is to install Java 7, plain old base Java 7.  Additionally, make sure it's 32-bit so if you use IE you don't get hosed.  Once I did this, I was good to go again and was on my way to finishing the step upgrade and the SD cards are now seen and good to go.

So here I am eating some pretzels waiting on this thing to finish.  I have to load the SCU next and format the flash cards with the appropriate data in a RAID-1 configuration except...I can't.  You see, Cisco seems to have end of life'd the 16 GB SD Cards originally in there.  Now I don't know if there is a direct replacement but our inside sales team ordered the 32GB ones Cisco instructed them to.  Well that's all great and dandy for the future but it sucks now because I can't RAID-1 two different size SD cards.  My solution, duplicate the install on both cards since all they hold is firmware anyways and deal with the "Degraded RAID" message that loves to sit there and stare you in the face.  I'm going to go back and eat some more pretzels now, see y'all tomorrow!

No comments:

Post a Comment