Search This Blog

Wednesday, November 11, 2015

T1s being T1s

So there I was, end of the day and a ticket came in for a long distance code not working for a customer.  Easy, probably doesn't have a FAC on CUCM for some reason, just as the others didn't.  Well, long story short, there was a FAC and the call was hitting the gateway and I was getting a 41 cause code via RTMT.  DSPs were fine and the T1 looked good.  Came in this morning figuring whatever the carrier had issues with was fixed but nope, still hosed.  More tickets were coming in saying their long distance codes stopped working.

This was the last 24 hours of my work life.  Everything looked good, no errors, no issues except randomly failing calls out a particular site.  Sure, I could have re-routed the entire site out another gateway but that would have taken significant time, even with BAT changing out the CSS to route out the other direction.  That would also put a huge load on the other T1 bundle and soak up a crap ton of ports and DSPs.

So I sat there, in discontent wondering what was going on.  Logs looked good, traces were fairly clean and still Cause Code 41.  I tried rapid long distance dialing and got a few calls to work.  My thoughts immediately went back to the carrier.  I even tried changing out the gateways but since both T1 CASs were failing that was also doomed to fail.  I was talking with another voice guy and he figured we should try to reset the T1 CAS.  I thought..why didn't I try this?  So simple...  My thought process was that it was broken however, and now I know better.  Reset it even if it is appearing to be working, who cares since long distance isn't working anyways right?  I reset the port made about 10 calls and had the customer call me back and everything is hunky doory.

So what was the problem?  Damned if I know.  Neither of us did anything and the carrier sure didn't do anything.  A reset seemed to fix an invisible hangup on the T1.  Note to self, just reset the damn T1, even if it doesn't look like it needs it!  Also, who the heck still uses T1 CAS?  That's the first time I saw a CAS in about 8 years.

No comments:

Post a Comment