Search This Blog

Tuesday, December 15, 2015

Intermittent One-Way Audio on Select phones

So today I was working a one-way audio issue that ultimately received a band-aid and not a solution.  A client has older 7940 phones and only two are acting up at a particular location.  All other phones are on that subnet and PRI are fine.  At first, I wanted to blame the network since almost all one-way audio issues are network related but I find that hard to believe if the rest of the phones are working fine.  Then, I wanted to blame the phones themselves and sure enough the problem follows the phone.  The only problem is that these phones have been replaced only for the problem to show up a day later or a week later or whenever.

At this point I am thinking PRI.  I push the call out another PRI and the phones are fine.  This nixes the phones being bad as they worked immediately after switching from one PRI to another.  This goes back to the PRI being part of the problem but I can see packets being transmitted and received at the proper G.711u-law codec.  Ultimately, I am going to have to see if the carrier is willing to troubleshoot since the problem is most likely something sporadic on their side.  This problem has been a hindrance since before a major upgrade and followed it afterwards.  It is strange for something like this to be popping up like this.  More information will follow as I find out the issue.

No comments:

Post a Comment