Search This Blog

Thursday, February 5, 2015

Rabid VoIP dogs

Well after yesterdays fiasco of getting the CUCM files to FTP into the OS side of the house, I started fresh again today.  I used that Damn Small Linux (further known as DSL from here on out), and setup a VM on the same ESXi host.  It only needs about 128 MB of RAM but since I was going to be shoving almost a gig worth of data into an FTP directory I bumped the RAM up to 4 GB just to be safe.  UCS C220s have a crap ton of RAM anyways.

I proceeded to push the file and everything worked great.  The original firmware / device pack files don't work on CUCM 9.1.1 for some reason.  I ended up having to get the 9.1.1 21060 device pack and install it on CUCM.  This isn't scheduled until tomorrow but at least I got the file where it needs to be, the most I have to do is push it to CUCM and let her rip while I go drink a beer at the house.

This brings me back on to yesterdays topic of how important it can be to have a small stripped down OS of some sort to get things done locally on the ESXi host.  Sometimes it isn't viable to travel all the way to a site just to spend 20 minutes pushing a file.  I would almost say it should be best practice to have a separate VM dedicated to this.  I'm not sure if there are any Windows OSs out there that are under about 500 MBs that aren't archaic but it would be nice.  Those hacked versions of XP and 7 don't count as they aren't open source and that could get into legal issues for a company using them.

So far, DSL is the best OS I have found.  A windows server could easily just do the same thing but when you work for a company that does projects and doesn't maintain an entire infrastructure it can be hard to convince a customer to give you access to their servers when all they want is a voice upgrade or install.  For those in my position, what I am proposing should work extremely well.

No comments:

Post a Comment