Search This Blog

Tuesday, March 31, 2015

The dust in the wind

Not much going on at work lately but I figured I would post something anyways just to show I didn't abandon this blog.  For starters, I am selling my CCNP Voice lab on Ebay.  I am at a point now where I just need to be working on the latest and greatest and running CUCM 10 just isnt viable in demo mode for me. 

On the tech side of things at work, as I said, things are a bit slow but I have been keeping busy with learning Python and voice stuff.  Last Friday I had a customer inform me that his 911 test call out the local FXO was not showing the correct ANI to the local PSAP.  I took a look and I believe one of two things happened.  First, 911 somehow reported the wrong number or two, the POTS line attached to his gateway isn't the number he thinks it is.

I did some checks on CUCM and found nothing wrong, after all, this site is set up in the exact same manner as the other 12 sites.  Each one has a dedicated voice gateway for FXO dialing out which is 911 only while the rest of the calls hit the T1 PRI.  Easy enough you might say, well try explaining that to someone who isn't as familiar with voice.  So after a bit of discussion I took it upon myself to check RTMT.  RTMT never lies and will show you how the call left and how it appeared.  Sure enough, the call completed as it should have which indicates one of the two things I noted before.

In fact, I just got an email confirming that there was a cross-connect issue.  I cannot stress enough the proper troubleshooting techniques as an engineer.  Following a set standard, whether it yours or someone else's (that works of course), is paramount.  Keep your head clear, systematically eliminate one thing at a time until you come to the last possibility and then that must be the problem.  As someone once said, "Consider, and when you have considered, then act."

No comments:

Post a Comment