Search This Blog

Wednesday, April 1, 2015

Cisco TMS Woes

Today I had some spare time at work and started to work on our telepresence upgrade again.  I have already got all of our endpoints on the same version, albeit old ones, but still, at least they are on the same software release.  The MCU I haven't upgraded yet as I am still doing research on what will break if I upgrade it.  But the TMS is something we have but don't even use. 

Our current TMS is old as dirt, 13.1 is the release and I have the software for 14 from our service contract.  The problem is, the service contract is now expired so any support we had is gone.  To further this, the box it is currently on is also old as dirt.  TMS shipped on a physical box which is beginning to be unheard of these days since everything is now virtualized.  After managing to backup the SQL database, which was a complete pain in the butt, I dropped it onto a brand new 2008 R2 VM.  I installed the old 13.1 as I planned to step upgrade to 14 and got beat down hard.  I found out that there are two different versions of TMS, one is appliance driven and the other is software driven(VM). 

So the ultimate issue is that I would have to pay to get the other version.  The other issue is I am having problems getting the SQL backup to push into the new TMS since Windows is well...Windows.  So just a heads up, anyone looking to migrate, make sure you got a valid service contract to get a new release key and make sure if you are moving to VM you are on the 80A and not the 80B serial number as 80B is the appliance version.

No comments:

Post a Comment