Search This Blog

Thursday, September 17, 2015

The Hunt Pilot Timer

Everyone has those moments where stupidity overrides thought processes. Yesterday I spent about 30 minutes on something that should have taken less than 3. I was providing support for a customer after I migrated their CUCM from a physical box to a virtual host and they wanted to do some additional configuration on their main line calling in. No big deal, slapped a second line group in and added it to the Hunt list and adjusted timers accordingly. After some fine tuning we got the line groups to ring properly but the second line group would always cut off prematurely. After trying to figure out what was going on and checking things I knew were right, it hit me. After you rang out it would hit a voice mailbox which just happened to be read by Cisco's voice and I knew exactly what was happening. The hunt pilot timer was set to 15 seconds and that was seconds more than then the second line group would hit which only allowed a very brief ring on the second group. I adjusted that timer to 30 seconds and bam, everything worked flawlessly. Sometimes you just need a small sample of stupid to realize that everything isn't complicated unless you make it that way. I think part of the reason I was forgetting the Hunt Pilot timer was due to the lack of sleep from the migration on the night prior. Who knows, maybe I'm making excused for a novice mistake?

No comments:

Post a Comment